There are many ways you can practice self-care these days. You can practice yoga, grow plants, exercise, read books, or listen to music.
Here's another activity you can add to your self-care routine: painting by numbers. The task is simple: You just have to fill in a drawing with paint. Each area of the drawing has a number, which has a corresponding color. You can create your own masterpiece even if you have zero painting experience.
The first paint-by-numbers kit was first introduced in 1951 by the Palmer Show Card Paint Company in the US, and they eventually sold around 20 million kits across the country.
What's Inside A Paint-By-Numbers Kit?
Scribbler's Artherapy Paint-By-Numbers Kits, for example, comes with a framed canvas, a set of brushes, assorted paint pigments, and a set of ring hangers with screws. There are several designs to choose from. Here are some of them:
For a few hours a day, you can forget about all your worries and just focus on thinking about which color goes where. It's a very relaxing activity, and it also gives you a sense of accomplishment knowing that you've turned a blank canvas into a beautiful painting.
Tips On How To Paint-By Numbers
Here are a few tips on how you can successfully complete your paint-by-numbers kit.
- Work in a well-lit area so you can see the numbers on the canvas clearly.
- Lay the canvas on a flat surface or use an easel for easy-peasy painting.
- Paint one color at a time, from top to bottom. Start with dark colors first, followed by the lighter ones.
- Close the paint containers when not in use to prevent them from drying out.
- Clean brushes thoroughly in between colors.
- Use only the tip of the brush for more precise strokes. It helps save on paint, too.
- You can use a toothpick instead of a brush for very tiny areas.
If you're looking for an activity to keep you busy while you're at home or if you want to take a break from social media, paint-by-numbers is always a good idea. You won't notice the hours go by.
Scribbler Artherapy Paint-By-Numbers kits are available at SM Stationery inside The SM Store and online at www.smstationery.com.ph. Get a kit for only P299.75.